I’ve mentioned many times on here about the stress in mine and my husband’s lives, most of which can be attributed to outside influences that we have zero control over. Although, I wish we did. I wish it would go away. These outside stressors have caused much turmoil in our lives over the past two and a half years, which has resulted in some health issues for me, as well as him. I feel that it has contributed to the cysts on my ovaries, my constant battle with depression, my panic and anxiety attacks, etc.
The stress I’ve been under has also made me stop loving myself. And it has made me view things in life in a more negative light, which isn’t healthy. I used to think that way when I was a teenager, and it was one of the darkest times in my life. And I swore once I found the light, that I would NEVER lose it again. But I let myself down.
Before I met my husband I had just gone through a transformation period, and I had grown to love myself in whichever form/shape I was in. I no longer looked in the mirror and hated what I saw. Instead, I looked in the mirror and saw a fierce and strong woman who could conquer anything.
I had confidence. And I believed in myself.
But since my husband and I got together, and I’ve had to deal with certain stressors, all of my hardwork was destroyed and left in pieces at my feet.
And I admit it, I hate myself even more for allowing things beyond my control to bully me and knock me down and make me feel as though I have no self-worth. And I have been fighting on a daily basis to get better and to stop letting others affect me and my husband and I’s marriage.
Over the past few months I’ve been doing much soul-searching to find ways to heal myself. I’ve been researching ways to deal with my stress and anxiety, as well as my body, which unfortunately, is in near constant pain, to some degree, because of my cysts.
In fact, when I have a particularly stressful day, I experience more pain. And research has shown that stress can make cysts worse.
So what do I do? How do I deal with things I can’t change?
What do I do to combat the stress?
Well, there are many things, and I’m going to share my top five with you in hopes I can help reduce the stress in your life, as well.
- Exercise. I know everyone says it, but it’s true. When I’m stressed, exercising helps, especially yoga. I also feel better when I take time to ride my stationary bike for 30-40 minutes or when I do Pilates.
- Listen to nature sounds. I’m a country girl. I was raised next door to a farm. Our home was surrounded by woods, and there was nothing I loved more than opening my bedroom window at night and listening to the peepers as they sang their songs. And when it rained, the gentle tapping or rapid pinging on the roof often lulled me into sleep. I live in a different area now, and those sounds and more aren’t the same, but thanks to Spotify, and some handy dandy apps on the Google Play store, I’ve found some great nature sounds that transport me when I close my eyes. And when I do, I feel the stress slip away, and I end up feeling more centered and secure. The best app I’ve found is the Relax Melodies app, pictured above.
- Deep-breathing exercises/meditation: I have found some great apps that walk you through deep breathing and meditation exercises. When I take the time to focus on my breathing, I go inward and my focus is no longer on the external aspects of my life. I find my center…my peace. And when I’m done I often feel rejuvenated.
- RESCUE Pastilles: I’m not a huge fan of medicating myself to deal with stress. I loathe prescription meds, and I much prefer a more holistic approach to life. That’s not to say I don’t take over-the-counter and prescription meds when necessary, but when there are things I can do naturally to help myself feel better mentally and physically, I do them. RESCUE Pastilles are a natural homeopathic way to combat stress and stay in control. They are gentle and safe and non-habit-forming, which is great. I don’t need an addiction to something on top of my other issues. (There are actually several RESCUE products to choose from to fit your lifestyle to help you manage the stress in your life: RESCUE Pastilles, RESCUE Sleep Liquid Melts, RESCUE Pearls and more! Available at CVS, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Sprouts and wherever else you find natural products.)
- Create a Motivation/Positivity Board:Like many others, I’ve wasted many an hour on Pinterest, reading quotes that are relevant to events in my life that help inspire and build me up. But what about those days I just don’t feel like spending time on there? Well now I have a motivation/positivity board for me to look at and work on. I know it may sound silly to some, but looking for quotes to put on it that would help me actually makes me feel better. When I’m feeling stressed or down, I look at it and the quotes that spoke to me, and I instantly feel better.
Now that I’ve shared with you some of the ways that I relieve stress, I’d love to hear what works for you.
Want to try out RESCUE products:
Right now, if you visit the RESCUE site, you can get a BOGO RESCUE coupon, as well as enter the #StressLess Sweepstakes. You could win prizes from Bose and GoPro.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.